A strong team of 40+ doctors with a total of 200+ years of International and India experience will work closely with the network doctors
India, Bengaluru, 13th September, 2022: Practo, India’s leading integrated healthcare company, today announced the appointment of Dr. Abhijit Paul as Medical Director, Practo Care Surgeries (PCS), Dr. Sudip Roy as Senior Director, Primary Care and Dr. Hema Venkataraman as Medical Advisor, New offerings at Practo. These appointments are aligned with Practo’s increased focus on quality, with doctors at the helm of each offering. With this, the medical team is now 40-member strong, with a total of 200+ years of experience (India and International) spanning hospital administration, radiology, anesthesiology, and endocrinology, to name a few.
The medical team is led by Dr Alexander Kuruvilla, Chief Healthcare Strategy Officer, who has been at the helm of ensuring the company’s products reflect international best practices, code of ethics, and standards in healthcare delivery.
Core Responsibilities of the Medical team at Practo include:
- Audits and Training across consultations and medical establishments
- Patient safety and care through complete pre-and-post-surgical investigations and recovery
- Build quality manuals, code of ethics, and SOPs and ensure 100% adherence across functions, products and operations
- To verify and update medical, drug-related, doctor-related and medical establishment information
With an aim to deliver world-class quality healthcare and exceptional patient experience, the company plans to expand the team of doctors in the medical team, further over the next two years.
Individual roles & responsibilities
Dr. Abhijit Paul will be responsible for all in-patient medical processes, standards and quality of care, viz. Secondary care (Practo Care Surgeries). He comes with 30+ years of experience in high-volume complex surgical, critical care and anaesthesia work and is a National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH) Assessor and has facilitated institutions through Joint Commission International accreditation(JCI). He is also an ACLS/BLS lead instructor certified by the American Heart Association who has actively been involved in training doctors and nurses in the art of cardiac arrest and resuscitation.
Dr. Sudip Roy will be responsible for setting and reviewing all out-patient processes for the Primary care business. He has over 21 years of experience spanning clinical microbiology, quality assurance – laboratory & hospital, healthcare setup commissioning, infection control, and clinical research. Before joining Practo, he was associated with HJ Hospital, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) as a Consultant Clinical Microbiologist & in-charge of Microbiology, Serology, and Molecular Biology (including COVID Lab & Africa-CDC Lab for HIV).
Dr. Hema Venkataraman will be responsible for designing programs and strategies as part of Practo’s new medical offerings. As a senior Endocrinologist, in the NHS, UK, she comes with over 17 years of clinical and academic expertise in chronic health care management. She is the clinical lead and MDT member for the Antenatal and diabetes technology service in a large tertiary centre at University Hospitals Birmingham, NHS, UK and a member of various international societies like Diabetes UK, SFE, EASD and ADA. As an academic, she holds Honorary Senior Lecturer positions at the University of Warwick & University of Birmingham, UK, and brings a strong evidence-based medicine flavour to Practo’s chronic care product.
Other recently joined members of the medical team include
- Dr. Abel Samuel Raj Asirvatham, Associate Director – Medical Quality & Safety – With a rich experience in putting in place many NABH policies for the country as its Joint Director and leading many hospital teams for JCI accreditation across the country, he is designing a medical quality framework and clinical pathways for various surgical procedures that partner clinics and hospitals must adhere to.
- Dr Sajid Omer, Dr. Firoz Ahmed, Dr. Nilesh Maruti Gumardar & Dr Malleshwara Rao as the City Medical Superintendents (doctors with 20+ years of experience) are responsible for all the clinical activities related to the delivery of PCS at their respective Cities and Zonal levels.
Commenting on the appointments, Dr Alexander Kuruvilla, Chief Health Strategy Officer said “ Practo in its 14 years of operation, has constantly evolved to adopt and implement the best practices that resonate with its ultimate goal of improving access to quality healthcare across the country. And the medical team is aligned with the company’s vision to make that happen. With the appointment of Dr Paul, Dr Sudip, Dr Hema along with the strong team of healthcare professionals that we have built over the years, we will ensure that Practo emerges as the gold standard of quality when it comes to digital healthcare.”